Shave soap has been an essential part of grooming routines for centuries, providing a rich, cushioning lather that enhances the shaving experience. With a history dating back to the early 19th century, shave soap has stood the test of time and continues to be a popular choice for a close, comfortable shave. To use it, simply follow the steps below to help create a lather that will give you a smoother, irritation-free shave.
1. Prepare your face: Before you begin, wash your face with warm water and face soap to remove dirt and oil build up, and open the pores. To soften the hair and protect the skin apply a pre-shave oil. These first steps will ensure a smoother, more comfortable shave.
2. Soak your shaving brush: Fill a bowl or cup with warm water and submerge your shaving brush for about a minute. This softens the bristles and helps the brush to retain water, which is essential for creating a rich lather.
3. Wet the soap: While your brush is soaking, sprinkle some warm water on the soap of shaving soap to soften its surface. You can do this by dripping water from your fingertips. Start off slow, you can always add more water but you can’t take any away.
4. Load the brush: Remove the brush from the water and gently squeeze out the excess. Hold the soap in one hand or place it in a shaving mug, then swirl the brush on the soap in a circular motion for about 20-30 seconds. The goal is to load the brush with soap, forming a paste-like consistency.
5. Build the lather: There are multiple methods to build the lather but the concept is the same - face lathering and bowl lathering are the most common however, you can also build up a lather on the soap.
6. Apply the lather: Using the brush, apply the lather to your face in circular motions, ensuring even coverage on all sides of the hair. This will help lift and soften the hairs, making them easier to cut.
7. Shave: With a sharp razor, shave in the direction of hair growth (with the grain) using short, light strokes. Rinse the razor frequently to remove soap and hair buildup.
8. Rinse and repeat (if needed): Rinse your face with warm water to remove any remaining lather and hair. If you desire a closer shave, re-lather and shave again, this time going across or against the grain.
9. Rinse and finish: Rinse your face thoroughly with cold water to close the pores and pat dry with a clean towel. Apply your aftershave splash and balm to tone, soothe and moisturize your skin.
10. Clean up: Rinse your brush and soap under running water to remove any remaining lather. Shake the excess water from the brush and stand it up to dry, this will ensure that the bristles stay in shape and last a long time. Store the soap in a well-ventilated area, allowing it to dry completely before closing any container or lid.
By following these steps, you'll achieve a comfortable and close shave while enjoying the rich lather and pleasant scent of a Wet Shaving Products shaving soap.
Tips, tricks and other uses:
We are always hearing about new and unique ways our customers are using their WSP products to work for them! In this section we will regularly update with new ideas, tips, tricks and hacks that we come across.
If you have a unique way you use shaving soap email or message us on any of our social media platforms and we will add it to the list with a shout out!