Preparation is key in shaving, and one product that truly stands out in this regard is shaving oil. This nourishing product, which became popular in the 20th century, is designed to soften the hair and create a smooth surface on the skin for a closer, more comfortable shave. By providing a protective layer, it reduces the risk of nicks, cuts, and razor burn and enhances the overall quality and comfort of your shave.
1. Cleanse your face: Start by washing your face with a gentle cleanser and warm water to remove any dirt, oil, or debris. This will ensure that the pre-shave oil can work effectively on your skin. Warm water on your face will open up the pores and further soften your facial hair. This will help the pre-shave oil absorb better and prepare your skin for shaving.
2. Dispense pre-shave oil: Pour a small amount of pre-shave oil (about the size of a dime) into your palm.
3. Warm the oil: Rub your hands together to warm up the oil, which will help it spread more easily and absorb better into your skin.
4. Apply the oil: Gently massage the pre-shave oil onto your face, covering the entire area you plan to shave. Make sure to work the oil into your beard or stubble, so it reaches the skin underneath.
5. Let it absorb: Allow the pre-shave oil to absorb into your skin for at least 30 seconds to a minute. This will ensure that it has time to soften your facial hair and create a protective barrier.
6. Apply shaving cream or soap: After the pre-shave oil has been absorbed, apply your shaving cream or soap. You can use a lather brush or your hands, depending on your preference.
7. Shave: Proceed with shaving as you normally would, using a clean, sharp razor. The pre-shave oil should help to provide a smoother, more comfortable shave.
8. Rinse and moisturize: After shaving, rinse your face with cool water and gently pat it dry. Apply an alcohol-free aftershave splash or aftershave balm to soothe and hydrate your skin. The shave oil can also be used post-shave to add more moisture underneath your aftershave balm if you have particularly dry skin or live in a dry climate.
By incorporating pre-shave oil into your routine, you can enhance your overall shaving experience and reduce the risk of irritation, razor burn, or ingrown hairs.
Tips, tricks and other uses:
We are always hearing about new and unique ways our customers are using their WSP products to work for them! In this section we will regularly update with new ideas, tips, tricks and hacks that we come across.
- Our versatile beard and shave oils aren't just for your face. They're perfect for use anywhere on your body, whether you shave or not, acting as an excellent moisturizer. Even dry hair can benefit - simply apply to the ends for a nourishing treat.
If you have a different way that you use shave oil, email or message us on any of our social media platforms and we will add it to the list with a shout out!