- Simple. Manly. Hair. Our hair balm gets the job done simply and easily. Just scrape out a dollop with your thumbnail, rub it in between your palms, and style. That's it! Easy as one, two, three.
- Crunch Free. Your hair should be touchable. Not crunchy. Our hair balm leaves your hair touchable & restyle-able.
- Touchable Hair. I designed this balm because using pomade or gels meant my hair wasn't touchable. Oil based pomade made it too greasy. Water based gel made it crunchy. And water based "pomade" made it something in between; and kind of weird. My balm leaves your hair feeling like... hair! Not grease or a helmet.
- Regular Hold. Strong enough for all but the toughest of manes or styles. So, while it's not made to do a pompadour, it is built for everyday style.
- Medium Shine. Not too shiny, not too matte, just right.
- Petrol Free. Our hair balm is made from beeswax and other natural ingredients.
- Manly Smells that Smell Great. Made with some of our most popular fragrances, your hair will smell great!
- Handmade & Natural. Made in Chandler, AZ using: Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea Butter), Beeswax, Apricot Kernel Oil, Stearic Acid, Fragrance, Argan Oil.
- Want the first one free? Use code "hairbalm5" when checking out. Single use per customer. Cannot be combined. S&H not included.
Oil based pomades are greasy & hard to get out. Water based gels or pomades don't last, isn't restyle-able, and/or leave your hair crunchy. My hair balm lasts for hours, is restyle-able, is non-greasy, and leaves your hair touch-ably soft while it conditions it. And, it's easy to wash out. And, did I mention it smells great?
Tobacco - First, it doesn't smell like cigarettes! We started with notes of cured tobacco for the base, and added top notes of bay leaf, and fir to create an intoxicating blend of tobacco and bay leaf.
How to Use It
It's not normal petroleum based pomade or water based gel. It's all natural beeswax based. So it's actually solid at room temperature. I use it by scraping out half a pea's worth of the balm with the back of my thumbnail. Rub it in your hands to melt and work it into your hair. A little goes a long way, so use a little at a time; repeat as necessary to get the style you want.
The History Behind It
The short story is because someone asked me to. But like all good stories, I had some personal reasons for tackling this formulation. Of course, one of those reasons was purely the challenge of making an all natural & petroleum free hair styling product that actually works. The main reason though, was I wanted something that worked for my thick hair and didn’t make it look greasy.
So, it all started when Rick the Barber asked me if I could make an all natural pomade. Well, at the time, I had just come out with my beard balm, so it wasn’t exactly out of the blue. But unlike beard balm or mustache wax, pomade has to have a relatively strong hold, be easily workable, not be ‘waxy’ or ‘hard’, and be re-style-able. It’s a pretty long list. But I was up for the challenge.
I made this hair balm because the mass market stuff just doesn't do what I wanted it to do. For decades the only options available have been petroleum based pomade or water based gel (fairly recently they've introduced a thicker gel that's of a similar consistency as pomade). Neither of these two systems work perfectly and did everything I wanted. So, I took matters into my own hands and crafted something better.
Petroleum based pomade works well, but it's made with petroleum and it left my hair unbearably greasy and untouchable. It also made my hair a little too shiny. In addition, the good stuff was very expensive to use per application. $30 for something that only lasts for 30 days!
Finally, the worst part about using pomade was that it JUST WON'T COME OUT!!! Pomade users call it "De-Greasing". And that's a pretty darn accurate description. Once it's in; it's a pain in the butt to get it out.
While the water based options were certainly easy to get out, they are crunchy or don't last all day (or even 2 hours in some cases). After some slight walking, I was no better off than if I had used no product. And don't get me started about how it lasted after even a light gym session...
So, I made this wax & butter based balm. It's easy to get out. I made it with natural butters and oils, so it conditions your hair as it styles it. And the wax lasts for hours and is restyle-able whenever you need it. Plus it smells great.
Now, it doesn’t work like your typical hair gel or pomade. You can’t stick your fingers right into it. You have to scrape some off with your thumbnail or something else and then melt it. But I think you’ll find the results to be worth it. And if you aren’t happy, you can send it back for a refund.